Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I am about to steal!

So... I was just reading a friend of mine's blog and she had a brilliant idea which I am about to steal. She loves cooking so on her blog she posted a recipe to share with her friends, family and anyone else who wanted to give it a go. Now while her family grew together in the kitchen, I have faced it alone.

In my family, many people have this diasese...it is called can'tcookrealwella. I narrowly escaped this terrible diasese when I dated a chef and learned that I loved experimenting in the kitchen. Cooking and inventing new meal ideas is my form of art...since I can't draw or paint. I take recipes, I tweak them or I come up with things all on my own. It is a relaxing and rewarding hobby that I would love to share with others. So without further ado... I present to you my first recipe post. Enjoy! (Thanks Christine for the idea! I hope you are doing well.)

Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
This dip is the best spinach and artichoke dip I have ever tasted and trust me... I have had A LOT of spinach and artichoke dip. I first found the recipe in a magazine and I offered a few tweaks to make it my own. P.S. This makes a HUGE amount... Easily enough for four people to share.

1 8oz pkg of cream cheese
1 9oz pkg of artichoke hearts. (I used canned hearts and drained them before use.)
1 c. steamed spinach (1 10oz frozen package)
1/2 c. Helmans Mayo
1/2 c. grated parm cheese (fresh grated is the best)
3 sml/med garlic cloves (chopped real small)
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Grease a 2qt backing dish
3. While the spinach steams over the stove or in a steamer, mix cream cheese, artichoke hearts, mayo, parm, garlic and pepper into a food processor. Blend until everything is chopped.
4. Add steamed spinach. Again...blend until everything mixes into a paste.
5. Pour mixture into baking dish.
6. Cover with mozzarella.
7. Bake until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown...about 25 minutes. Serve with baked pita chips (recipe below)

Pita Chips:
Buy a package of pitas, whole wheat, white...whatever kind you like. Cut about three pitas into bite size pits and put on a baking tray. Lightly salt and bake. You can coat each one with a small bit of butter if you like but without the butter they are still amazing! They only need baked for about 5 minutes at 375. You want them to be soft but toasted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm, sounds yummy! Thanks chic!